May 2, 2008

How do you know when your city is crime ridden?

When the school district must put special programs in place to ensure the kids arrive safely to school. In a joint effort between Minneapolis Public Schools and Minneapolis Police, the city has another new program in place called “Safe Routes to school”. The intention of the program is to address the ”perception” that it isn’t safe for children to walk to school in some areas of the city, despite no major incidents in the schools this year (beside one non-school related incident at North High). Wake up people! It’s not the schools, but the areas around the schools. If I was a parent on the North side there would be no way that I’d ever allow my child to walk to school, so I understand where these folks are coming from. This is a very sad statement on the condition of the city, and I don’t see nor hear any of our “silly council” members out voicing this nor presenting any solutions. Of course, we don’t have a crime problem in Minneapolis. Silly me!

No comments: