Feb 27, 2008

Shine on Hard Earned Moon ... because we can't afford pants

The Minneapolis City Council wants to charge the property owners thru the property tax for ornamental lighting placed in front of their property. The cost figure I've heard, and I hope someone can tell me that I'm wrong, is $2,000 a for a typical lot. Nobody I know has an extra $2,000 laying around for sometime like lighting. Heck if I'm really good at finding a deal I can get my roof replaced for that kind of dough. Of course I'll be able to see it alot better with my $2,000 light in the front. Better yet, they aren't going to ask if we want it.... they just put it in as they replace the road. Oh we can petition city hall to let us out of it, but have you ever tried that? Forget it, you’d have better luck trying to grow grass in Alaska on a ice berg in the middle of winter. Maybe this lighting program could be a part of the transportation bill that just passed the State...sorry don't give them any ideas. This on top of the high priced specially approved contractors for replacing the sidewalks, knit picky inspections program, higher sales taxes to pay for ballparks, and the new gas and license fees for vehicle operation. I think it’s time for the Minneapolis tea party…want to join?
Question to the Minneapolis City Council… Do you like residents or just money control? In order to have a well run city you need to have a good balance of happy tax paying residents, profitable businesses, good schools, safe streets, and high quality city services. This doesn’t describe Minneapolis. People need to be able to earn a living to provide a roof over their heads, feed their families, educate their children, enjoy fun activities, and have pace of mind. Paying most of their income to the government is not on this list. Who do you know had a 30% raise in their pay last year. Not many I know! We are going to take careful watch over how much more money is being taken from us between the state and city over the year. We will publish these numbers, along with other trends. Note to all the local city and state government office holders… The Shadow is watching!

No comments: